When you garden, it can be a very relaxing and enjoyable experience for you. This can even be one of your hobbies due to your love for it, and surely, you would love to improve at it. In this article, you’ll learn how to do living gardening.
Some people even made it their personal job due to their love for it. However, whether gardening is your hobby or job, this article provides steps to enhance your skills and become a professional gardener.
Let’s get started
1. Take Courses
For you to be a master gardener, you have to take classes. These classes are ways for you to gain the skill and information you need.
These classes are available today, and it varies at different levels of training. You can apply for these courses and attend them. This way, you get started with your goal of being a professional gardener.
- To further your studies, you can take online classes that relate to gardening
- You can adjust your time to meet the time requirements of the class, either on an hourly or weekly basis
- When you need to volunteer, do so as it can help you get your certificate as a master gardener
2. Identify a Good Course
Make sure the training you are receiving in gardening covers major aspects of gardening.
You should find a course that trains on the basic skills for gardening and a lot more, as it can help you develop professionally.
You can review the outline below and see what a good course should require.
- How to identify weeds and control them effectively
- How to recognize pests, diseases, and insects and how to manage them
- Certain forms of certification
- How to use pesticides safely and other agricultural chemicals.
3. Volunteer to Learn Gardening Skills
You can volunteer to help others work in their gardens. This way, you will learn practical skills without cost. When you volunteer, you gain more experience and skills to become a professional gardener.
One expert agrees that the best way to learn all about gardening is to experiment with it. This is because it will make you feel more eager to learn about gardening.
It is alright if you make mistakes; the next time, you improve better. Let the plants teach you, and when they do, your skills will be better.
4. Consider Your Location
When pursuing your career, either as a trainer or gardener, you need to consider the area you live in ( your location).
Your location, especially the weather, determines how often you carry out your gardening practices; so, consider your location and how well it fits your goal of becoming a professional gardener.
- Some weather conditions affect how your plants grow
- The time you can garden depends on the weather or season of the location
- Although certain seasons, such as winter, may pose a challenge, you can practice services like pruning or fencing during these periods
- If your location does not suit your goal, you can consider moving to another location.
5. Think about the Basics
Before you set up your gardening business, you have to take note of the basics. This involves having a plan and focusing on important aspects as it can help your gardening business succeed.
- In case of problems, you can have a backup plan such as insurance or some legal requirements.
- Have a business logo; this can boost your business.
- Make your business look professional by wearing formal clothes such as uniforms or suits.
- Have a number and email only for your business. This can make it easy for your clients to contact you about business.
- Ensure your business is legal, and it meets all legal requirements. You can obtain the necessary documents, licenses to prove your business is legal.
6. Get Your Equipment
The first thing you need to have as a gardener is your equipment. This will help you enhance your work, and it will be easy to move them to several sites you want to work on.
Here are the things you need to prepare before you start your business
- A transport medium like a car, motorcycle, or truck
- Tools like digging tools, fertilizers, and pesticide applicators
- Safety equipment like goggles, gloves, steel-toe boot, respirators, etc
7. Consider Your Customers
Your customers are your business supporters, so you need to consider them in your business. You have to think about what you would offer to them and which type of customers you want.
- You can go for a few large customers
- You can take on smaller customers to direct your business
- When you have something to offer your customer, make it easy for them to understand.
8. Try Checking with Your Local Government
Work alongside your local government. They may need gardening skills in areas such as the local park, cemeteries, and lots more. So when you work with your local government, you can easily fill in for the position.
When you do this, you take a step further to becoming a professional gardener, and, at the same time, you help beautify your community.
9. Check with Botanical and Historical Gardens
Botanical and historical gardens have a wide variety of plants, either for a presentation or for research.
This makes these places excellent to work in. In these places, you get to practice your skills, develop your knowledge, and become a professional.
10. Apply with Nurseries and Greenhouses
Nurseries or greenhouses are places where they sell large varieties of plants.
Because of the plants they have to handle, and they need the services of a gardener. So you can search for places like these to further your career.
Things You Will Need For Gardening
- Skills for gardening
- Steel-toe boot
- Pesticide applicator
- Digging tools
- A transport medium, etc
Tips to remember
- Take classes
- Choose a course that covers important aspects.
- Volunteer to help others work in their gardens
- See whether your location suits your gardening business.
- Take note of the basic things before you start your business.
- Get your equipment with you.
- Think about your customers in your business
- Work alongside your local government
- Help botanical gardeners handle their gardens.
- Apply with nurseries and greenhouses to further your career.
When you apply these steps, it will guide you in achieving your goal of becoming a professional gardener. Not only that, you will be able to do living gardening.
Thank you so much for your time reading this article. If you have any questions regarding the topics, please leave your message below, and I’ll be happy to write back to you.
The entire team of My Amazing Garden is thrilled to WELCOME you on board. We hope you’ll do some amazing works here and enjoying reading the informative and helpful articles that we really love to offer to every one of you: a warm welcome and lots of good wishes for becoming a part of our growing team. I wish you a prosperous new year 2021!
Hello there. Good day. I love this article on how to make a living on gardening. Gardening is a cool job; it brings out different creative mindsets and ideas in you. It makes you think of different ways to grow and beautify your surroundings and your work. Good one on the tips and tools used for gardening. It shows us a great way to start, mostly for those who want to take a gardening course. Thanks a lot.
Thank you so much for your valuable comment about these articles. How to Make a Living Gardening. So, you may apply this to yourself or to a friend who wants to have living gardening. These guides are straightforward to follow. Good luck!
Thank you so much,
I have always been a fan of gardens and I will definitely build one in my future home. I really found it nice going through your article because it is something I have always loved since I was a kid so I had to bookmark this article so I can read it later so I wont forget the tips given here.
Thanks a lot for dropping by, and welcome to my Amazing Garden. Thank you, and you like these articles and finding help for you and your future gardening project.
Thanks a lot, and God bless!
Thank you for your in-depth assessment of what it takes to do living gardening. I like your thoughts on working for botanical and historic gardens as well as nurseries and greenhouses. This will further one’s knowledge of gardening as well as giving a business perspective. The people one might meet there could also help get a business off the ground in a business/networking sense.
This is a great checklist to get started on this business. Thank you for sharing!
Welcome to my Amazing Garden. And thank you so much for dropping by and reading the How to Do a Living Gardening. Thanks to that, you found this guide helpful to you and people looking for a living in gardening. If they have to follow these guides, they will be benefited from this in the long run, as they have to start even a small business in the future.
Thank you so much and good luck,
I loved that third idea so much. That’s like the perfect way to train and really get the practical skills necessary. I mean, not only that, but also I bet you can pick up quite a few tricks from whomever you’re helping. Plus, they’ll probably be happy to share them as well since you’re helping them any way. And, just in general, I’ve found that people like helping others, as well as they, like reciprocating. Both of which are kind of what’s happening here. Just a simple yet amazing tip. Thank you. 🙂
Thank you so much for your kind feedback about the articles I wrote. Thank you that you find this article helpful and informative—all the best to you.
Some people will laugh, but I never thought about getting a gardening class. I want to start that hobby, but I have no idea where to start. As I read the article, I google it a bit. There is a lot of organizations that offer their expertise. Some courses are even online! I will be simply volunteering to help my father. :0)
Great article, Josephine.
Thank you for visiting my site. And having the interest to read my articles talking about How to make a living in a garden. Yes, you are right. You can learn online courses if you’re interested. And make it a living one day. Thanks a lot.