When we purchased our new gardening tools, we will more than likely have a choice of low price and high quality tools.
The quality tools are designed to last for many years, but they must be cared for and regularly maintained.
Regardless of the quality, maintaining the garden tools on a regular basis will to assure that they will be ready to go to work on the next gardening day. We followed some basic rules, to add years of life and use to all the tools which were designed to make the gardening task more easy.
Tools Cleaning Tips:
1. Always remove all the soil from the digging tools after each use. Usually hosing them or put them in a bucket with water and let them soak for a while later its easy to remove sticky dirt and dried mud.
2. Do not keep the tools when they are wet. Let them dry completely before storing to prevent rusting and handle rot. Do put an oil into your wooden handle to preserve them.
3. Right after each use wipe the metal part of the pruners, shears, and other metal with a dry rag then next wipe with an oily rag.
4. Sharpen all the cutting tools as well as the blade of shovel and spading fork during the gardening season.
5. Thoroughly clean any tools which have been used for chemical applications. Fertilizers and other chemical will rapidly destroy any metal parts.
So, maintaining of all our shears, shovels, clippers, and others tools are very important to keep their life longer and stronger and ready for next gardening schedules. That’s how we care and love our own personal garden tools.