Having ticks around your home or in your garden can most times be very annoying. Ticks carry very harmful and deadly diseases; some of these diseases are the likes of Lyme disease and different other harmful blood-borne diseases. In this article, you will be given tips for effectively getting rid of ticks in your home.
Step 1 of 3
Removing Ticks That Are Inside the House
1. Use hot water while washing dirty clothes.
Ticks are very attracted to dirty clothes and linens. If you suspect that your cloth or linen might have ticks on them, the best thing to do is to wash them with the kind of hot water that suits the fabric.
- You should always try to keep your dirty clothes away from the floor. If you want to store your dirty clothes for a period of time, do so with a hamper or basket.
2. Clean your house very well.
Another step to removing ticks from the house is by cleaning your home thoroughly. Clean every part of your house, especially places where you suspect ticks might be hiding, like in shelves or corners of the house.
- To make the work easier in thoroughly cleaning your house, you will need a vacuum cleaner. The vacuum cleaner is essential in this aspect because it can suck up dirt from anywhere in the house.
3. Use pesticides.
When you have cleaned your house properly, the next thing for you to do is apply pesticides around the house, as ticks hide in unsuspected areas of the house. Even after getting rid of these ticks, there might still be some in hidden corners of the house.
- Use pesticides that are safe for both humans and animals
4. Tidy your home.
In trying to remove ticks from your home, you have to de-clutter and tidy your home; this is because ticks can hide literally anywhere. Clean up dirty laundry and ensure that the house is clean.
5. Check indoor pets.
Most of these indoor pets, like cats and dogs, are sources of tick infestation; they carry ticks from outside into the house.
- A general way to prevent these pets from bringing ticks into the house is to get a collar that repels ticks for these pets
- If you discover that these pets have ticks on them, you have to physically remove them and then treat the pets.
6. Get an exterminator
When you have a serious tick infestation, it’s high time you got the services of an exterminator. These people are professionals, and they have the needed equipment to get rid of the ticks from your house. They have an in-depth knowledge of how ticks operate in the place, so taking out the ticks will be easier for them.
Part 2 of 3
Removing Ticks from Outside the House
1. Clear the weeds and bushes in your yard.
To prevent ticks from taking shelter in your yard, clear the bushes that are in your yard, mow your grasses regularly, and let the sun into the yard.
2. Target places that tick like the most.
Ticks that stay outdoors can be regularly found in areas that are bushy and grassy; they also stay in areas that are sheltered by trees and away from the sun. When you have noticed these places, ensure to take the necessary steps in eradicating them from these areas.
3. Reduce the vegetation around the environment.
In keeping ticks away from your environment, it might require you to cut and trim the vegetation in your yard regularly. This is mainly because if this vegetation becomes too bushy and overgrown, it will become a safe habitat for ticks.
4. Apply pesticides outside the house.
You are to use approved pesticides to kill ticks in your environment. Before using any of these pesticides outside your house, study the label to know if it will be appropriate to use them outside.
5. Get the sun into the yard.
Ticks can be most times compared to vampires; this is because they feed on blood and are naturally resistant to the sun. So a quick way to get rid of ticks from your yard is to ensure that the sun gets to sneaky areas in your yard.
- To let the sun into your yard, try removing those materials and equipment that cause feed on blood and are naturally resistant to the sun. So a quick way to get rid of ticks from your yard is to ensure that the sun gets to sneaky areas in your yard.
- To let the sun into your yard, try removing those materials and equipment that cause unnecessary shades in your yard, and with that, you are sure of getting rid of those ticks.
Step 3 of 3
Ways to Prevent Ticks.
1. Check your house.
Regularly checking yourself, your pets, and your children, especially after returning home, will help in preventing ticks from infesting the house. You also need to be careful not to squeeze these ticks, or stock them into the body of pets or children, so as not to bring out the diseases embedded in them.
2. Prevent children from getting infected by ticks.
When your children are out in the yard playing, ensure you monitor them so as to prevent them from going to know areas where ticks are found; places with high grasses are a typical example of them.
3. Fence your yard.
If you do not have a fence around your yard, then consider building one. Fencing your yard will prevent roaming animals from getting into it. Ticks do not fly or jump; they hide in the body of these animals to aid their movements, and so fencing your yard will be essential.
4. Keep dry woods away.
If you have firewood or dry sticks in your yard, ensure to keep them neatly stacked, away from wet places.
5. Produce your own repellant.
Non-toxic tick repellants can easily be made at home. What you will need is a spraying bottle and the steps listed below.
- Get a citrus repellant because ticks naturally hate citrus, which makes it a good weapon to repel them.
- Boil at least two cups of water, then add lemons, grapes, and lime to it
- After boiling for about two minutes, stir the contents for about one hour.
- After steering it, press the juice out and allow it to become cold.
- Lastly, pour it into the container you have with you and spray around places where ticks might likely be.
Ticks have different names; we have the dog, deer, and African tick. Ticks are small mites that require blood meals to survive. There are two sets of ticks, which are the hard and soft ticks. The soft ticks do not have a hard plate, while the hard ones do. I hope you enjoy reading this article. If you have questions about the topic, please leave your comments below, and I’ll be happy to write back to you.