Why should you only have a garden outside the house when you can create one in your room? You create a mini garden that will make your room get connected to nature and still follow the trend.
You won’t have to do much to take care of the garden. So this will be a better option if you don’t have the time to take care of a bigger garden.
Creating a One-pot Garden with Multiple Plants
1. Find a suitable container or small pot
You can create your garden in different containers such as lunch containers, bowls, terracotta pots. It will be an added advantage if you can get a container with a hole at the bottom, this will allow water to flow away easily. A container with patterns on the body will look nice in the room.
- If you got a container with drainage holes at the bottom, you might want to get a saucer or tray you can place under the pot. This will allow the water from the pot to flow into the tray. This will also be useful if you want to keep the mini garden on top of furniture, this will prevent the water from damaging the furniture
- If you intend to have more than one plant in your mini garden, make sure that the pot you are using is wide and deep enough to accommodate all the plants. I will advise that you make research on the plant you want to grow and the space it needs.
2. Get potting soil
To get started, you will need indoor soil you can put at the bottom of the container. You can also get nutrient-rich soil outside your house if it is available. You can get soil for potting at a plant nursery or at the garden section of a local hardware store.
- You need to be more careful if you want to use soil from outside. The soil may contain pests or diseases; you need to watch out for this. The soil could also be too dense and heavy, this will prevent water from draining out of the soil
- There are some plants that will have specific nutrient needs, using soil that does not meet those requirements might alter the growth of the plant. Do research on the plant you want to plant in your mini garden, then check for the nutritional needs of the plant. This knowledge will help you know the right type of soil for the plant.
3. Choose plants for your mini garden
When selecting the kind of plant you want to grow inside your house, you make sure they can actually grow inside. You should also choose plants that don’t grow too big over those that grow big.
If you intend to put more than one plant in the pot, make sure that the light and water requirements of the plants are the same. These are some plants you can grow indoor:
- Air plants
- Baby toes
- Chinese money plant
- Jade plant
- String of pearls
4. Transfer your plants into the soil
Remove the plant from the nursery pot carefully. Remove the root gently and plant it in the soil. It is advisable to water the plant once you put it into the soil. If you want your plant to tightly fit into the soil, pat the soil around it.
5. Find a spot to place your garden
Your plant should have indirect contact with sunlight, placing the plant near the window is the best way.
- You should look for a place that is not getting direct sunlight. This will prevent the plant from getting too much sunlight
- A place with a flat surface will be the best place to place the plant, this will prevent it from falling over.
6. Care for your garden
It shouldn’t take you much time to set up your mini garden, but you will need to take care of your plant. Trim it; water it when it is needed.
- There are some plants that need more water than the other, water them accordingly. Plants that are succulents don’t need much water like other plants, this is because they have a good water retaining system
- Watering a plant too much is a way most indoor plants die
- As your plants start to grow, there are some leaves that start to take too much space. You might have to trim those leave.
Creating One-plant Pots
1. Find several suitable pots
The best type of pot to use is the terracotta pot; you can also use plastic pots. Pots with patterns look good too.
- Plants will grow better in a pot that has the same size as they do. If the pot is too big, it can cause the soil to dry faster and make the root rot
- The pot should have a hole at the bottom for drainage, a tray or saucer should be placed under the pot.
2. Get potting soil
To start growing your plant, you will need soil for indoor purposes. You can use soil from outside if it has the nutrients it requires. You can buy indoor soil at the plant nursery.
- If you are using an outside plant, make sure you are careful because there are some soils that have pests and diseases in them
- You should make sure that the soil you are using has the nutrients the plant needs.
3. Select plants for your pots
When selecting the kind of plant you want to plant inside your house, you should make sure they can grow inside. Here are some plants you can grow using this method:
- Aloe Vera
- Asparagus fern
- Snake plant
- String of pearls
4. Transfer your plants into their pots
Gently take the plant from the nursery and place it in the pot you have prepared. Carefully dig a hole in the middle of the plant, then place the plant in it.
5. Place your plant pots
Your plant should have indirect contact with sunlight; placing the plant near the window is the best way.
- Make sure that the plants are not clustered in one spot, you care to separate them.
6. Care for your plants
You need to care for your plant; make sure it is properly trimmed and gets enough sunlight.
- Remember to open the curtain so the plant can get sunlight
- There are some plants that need water more than the other
- Only water the plant when the soil is dry; watering the plant too much can cause root rot.
Having a plant in the house is a nice idea, and it will make your room beautiful. I have listed above some ways you can grow your plant. I hope this was helpful. If ever you have a question about this topic or something you want to share, please kindly leave your comment below and I’ll be happy to write back to you.
Hello Josephine! Having a mini garden in my room sounds really nice! I really like the plants that have health benefits like aloe vera. I don’t remember where I read it, but I think I saw similar articles where people can create mini gardens in room that help improve with focus, memory, mood, and several others. I think it was like mint, rosemary, and a few others. I haven’t tried creating that mini garden myself so not sure how difficult it is. But other than that, this was a great article and I like that picture. Having a plant in room just seems to add much more value to it. Thanks!
Thank you for coming and dropping some of your thought about my article, How to Make a Mini Garden in your Room. Yes, it is adding a beautiful look to your rooms and look classic. Thank you that this article contributes to your ideas in anyhow.
Thank you so much and best wishes,
Oh how neat! I live in an apartment so I can’t have an outside garden. an inside garden is perfect for me. I do want some indoor plants to make my place look nicer! Thank you for providing this information. It has been very helpful to me as I decide how to decorate.
Hello, Antarctic Adventures,
Thank you so much for visiting my website and reading my articles about How to Make a Mini Garden in your Room. I’m glad that you found these articles helpful to you, in your future mini garden inside your room.
I agree that having a plant in the house is a nice idea, I’ve seen how beautiful people’s home can be just by having a garden. Before I started reading the article, I thought it was going to be based on artificial garden made by artificial plant as I thought the natural one might be a little bit stressful but it’s quite easy
Thank you for dropping by and reading my articles about How to make a mini Garden in your Room. Yes, having a mini garden in a room is adding beautification to your is it fresh all day long. Thanks for sharing your thought.
Hi, Thank you for creating a great article about the mini garden in a room. I really think that this is a great idea, and it definitely brings freshness into the room. And I cant wait to try it out and let you know how it feels. Keep up the good work.
Thank you so much for reading my articles about How to Make a Mini Garden in your Room. And I’m glad that you like it. And having a try to your own place, it is really awesome.
Thank you so much, and best wishes to you,
This is a very creative idea and would help someone looking to do this kind of thing in their home. You have provided a great step by step guide on different methods in which this could be done. I learned something new today. I never knew about people doing this kind of thing in their homes—great article with great information. I enjoyed reading it very interesting.
Thank you so much, Jonathan, for coming to my Website. I’m glad to know that you like and enjoyed all the information I have shared here.
Gosh, a mini-garden sounds super nice, and this article has all the details covered! My apartment is way too messy right now, and I need to make room, so I have an actual place to put my plants… That can be my motivator to get it cleaned up, haha! Personally, I love hanging terrariums so those will have to be in my set up for sure. Thanks for the info!
Thank you so much that it is beneficial for you. That’s really my wish here on my website to help friends and visitors and share a new idea about gardening.
Thanks a lot and best wishes,